Saturday 17 July 2010

Wash Away the Blues...


Arrived at Fewston Reservoir for the Washburn Valley Relay tired, fed-up and frustrated that it had taken me an hour and 40 minutes to get there from work. I'd managed to race out of the house that morning without my trainers nor my phone and managed to convince myself during the day that week day races are impossible...just too stressful trying to get there now I work in what seems like the middle of a traffic jam!

Thankfully, Julie had brought my trainers so with 15 minutes to go I got changed and managed to chat to a few familiar races before it was time to start. Panicked a little that I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing - simple instructions came from Mick Hogan, 'just run as fast as you can for 3.2 miles, tag Martin (second in my relay team)and then you can go home'.

It was a really scenic course (if a little hilly), and the sun shone throughout making the reservoir look really beautiful. I think I was pretty near the back of the first leg but I've no idea how long it took me (had forgotten watch too!). Final push back up the hill to the car park, tagged Martin and I was done.

Once I got my breath back, I spent a lovely evening cheering on the other runners and chatting to lots of people I hadn't seen in a while. It was a really friendly competition with runners helping others back up the final hill. Including a lovely scene with Jo's son, Jack running up and down the hill with all the finishers.

Headed home at about 8.30pm. Loving week day races!

No comments:

Post a Comment