Monday 29 November 2010

Get ('em) in

'I'm in!' I texted James on Friday night after receiving a deluge of texts from club members informing me that I'd been successful in the club draw to win a place in the London Marathon next year.

'In the pub?' he replied.

Not the response I was hoping for but perhaps a sign that my world is no longer the 24/7 running focussed one it once was. And then it came flooding back to me...

The hours messing about with my spreadsheet of training sessions, adding up miles covered; the complete lack of free weekends for fear of missing my long run; and all those freezing and snowy evenings spent running.

And I'm feeling very nervous about whether I can really do it all again, and dare I even think it, do better? But I'm also so excited. I mean, this is London, the world's top marathon (well, according to Runner's World). I am really lucky.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Sophie! It was meant to be, now pack away all those negative thoughts, you can do it all again and whatever the outcome (better time or not) you'll have a ball!!! Go Girl! Bring on the snow runs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From personal experience, I completely appreciate where you're coming from in this blog. I gave up the ghost a few years ago now and that's really when I started fully enjoying exercise rather than stressing about it. I also found that it didn't have the negative effect on my fitness that I anticipated...quite the opposite

    ReplyDelete