Sunday 12 December 2010

Cup of Tea Before the Storm

Finally managed to get out for a run today now that all the snow and ice has cleared. Did a lovely social six miles on an old favourite route from Apperley Bridge to Esholt with a few club members, followed by a warming cup of tea at Toby's Tea Rooms on the canal.

This period before Christmas really does feel like the calm before the storm, as I know I must start marathon training in earnest come the New Year. No more cuppas in the middle of training!

I'm feeling a little nervous about it all, but am trying to combat my nerves with planning. In what I can only describe as sheer panic in the space of about 10 minutes this week, I managed to enter five races including a 10k, a ten miler, two half marathons, a 16 miler in Derby (well, it made sense at the time) and, I really can't believe this, the dreaded Trimpell 20 in Lancaster, the race which I despised every minute of last year. At least I can now console myself that five of my long steady runs are sorted...now just got to organise the other 10 or so!

I'm trying to be confident in the knowledge that I have done this before so I do know a little about what I should be doing. Helen of ERR and I got chatting to a man from a local running club on the canal today who was also training for London but was doing 12 miles. 'How many are you up to?' he asked me. 'Er just six today', I replied with a slight undertone of worry. But I know I'm okay - I've now got my training plan in place, thanks to the fantastic Mick (aka marathon school coach 2010) and whilst it looks daunting at this point, it feels like a security blanket in that I've just got to stick to the plan, and then if I can't do it well, it's surely the plan's fault not mine!

So, three weeks left of relative freedom before training starts so I intend to thoroughly enjoy the festive period and make the most of drinks, food, visits to family and lie-ins before they all become a distant memory.

Merry Christmas and here's to a fabulous 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment