Friday 25 February 2011

Mileage Envy

I really tried to take Julie's advice of dusting myself off and planning my next run, but by Monday I had diagnosed myself as suffering from 'mileage envy'. A quick poll of fellow runners revealed that this is a common disorder. Everyone's discussing how many miles they've covered and suddenly I have a feeling of disquiet about my own training.

So, after last week's aborted long run, and in fear of the Trimpell 20 which is just over a week away, I made plans to fit in another long run this week. And 15.3 miles later today, I'm feeling a lot happier and more confident that I'm on track with my training. A day off work enabled me to get out in the daylight, as I set off from Apperley Bridge for a run to Otley and back the sun was shining and Spring was definitely in the air. A world away from the snow of last Saturday. Having always run with friends, I am struggling to get used to these lone runs, and I think I possibly run slower when I'm on my own. I didn't wear a watch so don't know how long I was out but since I managed to get through two full episodes of Marathon Talk, I suspect I was gone for some time!

Confidence regained, legs suitably sore and body racked with tiredness, I can now report that training is going well. Last Monday, was the sixth and final strength and conditioning session in the block of Enhanced Training offered by Bradford Athletics Network. I'm now pretty well versed in running efficiency, posture and control, drills and circuit training and have loved (nearly) every minute of these sessions. Tuesday, I was back on the torture rack having a much needed sports massage. Apparently, I have a thickening in my Achilles on my left foot and need to immerse it in cold water after a run, which I tried after a five mile trot around Eccleshill on Wednesday but found I was just too much of a wuss to do this for longer than a few seconds, so I hope there's not trouble ahead here.

Thursday was the final session of Speed-work for Endurance Runners at the track with coach Brian Scobie. These sessions have been great, and I have finished every one of them glowing. This week involved running 1k effort round the track and then eight 200 metre efforts with 200 metre recovery. Really tiring! I must admit, though I know these sessions have helped me to run faster, I'm not sure of the impact they have on marathon training as the efforts are relatively short. Brian's trained winners of marathons though, so here's hoping they will result in a miracle on marathon day!

Sunday, I'm tackling Snake Lane 10 in Pocklington for the first time, so this will be my highest mileage week to date.

I know that I'm on track. I just need to have a bit more confidence in my training.

And no more mileage envy.

No comments:

Post a Comment