Sunday 6 March 2011

I Heart Trimpell...

The Afterglow. Here's what I love about running...
It's done. I did it! Evidently the positive mantras worked wonders and I managed to not only knock 25 minutes off last year's time but also really enjoy the once dreaded Trimpell 20. Can't get much better than that!

After a chilly start, the sun shone throughout the race and everything just seemed a lot easier. I noticed on the race information that it is billed as having lots of great scenery, which I couldn't remember seeing any of last year so I made sure to take everything in which helped me to forget the stabbing pain in my legs after about mile 15.

Lots of friends were also running, and this is an out and back course so I got to see loads of people along the way - though I was a bit dismayed to see Chris Jones and Mick Hogan heading back, whilst I was still heading out (granted, they are very speedy runners). I'd told myself that I wouldn't see anyone I knew coming back while I was still running out.

Today felt like a really good dress rehearsal for London. I haven't run with a watch for ages so had no idea what splits I should go for on a race of this length; I didn't want to go too fast in case I blew up early on but equally didn't want to aim too low if I could do more. Given last week's time on Snake Lane, I concluded that I'd probably be okay with nine minute miles so that's what I went for and managed to stick with it pretty consistently throughout. I ran with Karen from Pudsey Pacers for about the first 10 miles, which really helped the miles to go down faster, and I felt pretty strong. I experimented with gels, and could really feel a high kicking in about five minutes after I had one, though I'd only taken three and probably could've done with one more so need to remember this for London.

Everyone else from my club and adopted clubs, HPH and Pudsey, did really well today, and I'm particularly in awe of Mick and Julie from ERR who ran today to support others as they aren't training for a marathon. I'm not sure I could do as much.

So, I'm signing off today with sleepy eyes and tired legs. Very happy.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome (sorry I hate that word but it was!) performance, added your new 10k time to that and well.....we are expecting big things in London.......Go go go!

    ReplyDelete