Sunday 10 April 2011

The Last Supper

Well deserved tea and cake
The end of a gorgeous Spring day where the sun has shone from early morning to late evening, and I'm feeling really happy and optimistic for next week's marathon.

I set out fairly early this morning to meet other club runners at Apperley Bridge for the final long run which, according to my training plan, needed to be an easy 90 minutes. Twelve of us turned up, despite only four of us actually running the marathon next week, which was brilliant and really sums up the massive support we've had whilst training. We set off on the canal running towards Leeds planning to run out for 45 minutes and then turnaround, the idea being that everyone could go at their own pace but we would all arrive back at the same time.

I ran ahead a little with Karen, and before we knew it we were a long way in front of everyone, inadvertently running even faster than marathon pace despite the intention of going out for an easy run. I think we were possibly getting a bit overexcited that this was the final long run, so we had to keep reminding each other to slow down! Eventually, about six of us managed to run in a pack at a steady pace, managing just over nine miles in all. I absolutely loved the 45 minute turnaround point as it felt like, that was it, the training's done and we're heading back ready for London. In reality, we headed back for tea and cake at Toby's Tea Room to celebrate. I hope it wasn't premature!

So, that's it. With the exception of a couple of short runs this week and a pre marathon sports massage (which Penny has promised won't hurt), London Marathon training for 2011 is done. And what a great way for it to end; in the sunshine surrounded by friends.

It seems a very long time ago, on that fateful Friday night last November when I learnt that I had been lucky enough to get a place in the marathon. And now next Sunday, I'll be donning my red British Heart Foundation vest and running the streets of London. Whatever happens, I'd like to thank everyone who has supported me over the last 14 weeks and especially all those who have sponsored me, giving me just short of £600 raised.

 I'll see you on the other side...and here's hoping triumphant.

No comments:

Post a Comment