Sunday 16 January 2011

Balancing Act...

I'm currently sitting with my feet up at the end of what seems like a long week of marathon training. I've managed to get stuck in, and have covered about 22 miles and also been to an OutFit session, all of which has left me feeling a bit more confident for the weeks ahead (if a little shattered!).

I've experimented a little and tried out Saltaire Striders this week so that I can run on a Tuesday rather than a Monday. We did what I can only describe as a hard core session which involved running out for five minutes and back for five minutes up and down Hollins Hill three times. I think this is called tempo running, though a quick search for a definition says it's 'comfortably hard' and there was nothing comfortable about this!

Saturday, I was up early for Bradford parkrun in Lister Park which was part of the club championships. The last time I had done this time trial was at the end of July when I'd been a stone heavier so I was interested to see whether a leaner me would be able to run any faster. I did. I managed to knock one minute 29 seconds off my time. But that course really doesn't get any easier.

Today, I did my long slow run.  I knew I was going to have to run on my own due to other club members competing in a cross country race, so decided to a familiar route from Apperley Bridge, up to Woodlands Road, then Knott Lane onto New Road, to Guiseley and back via Esholt. I had hoped to run for 90 minutes but it's pretty hard to plot a route that will take exactly that and I ended up back where I started 10 minutes short. I really enjoyed the run, and at one point considered extending it back along the canal but I knew if I did, it would add on at least half an hour which would probably be too much at this stage. Plus which I know there is will be plenty of Sundays taken up with long runs in the near future so there's no need to start before I need to.

The coming week is looking very hectic, and I must admit I'm not really sure how I'm going to fit it all in. The next round of enhanced training sessions put on by BAN are starting and will be Monday and Thursday nights for six weeks. I really want to complete the course but will have to drop the Monday session if I'm struggling to manage time wise. Here's the plan:

Monday - Enhanced training session (strength and conditioning)
Tuesday - Speed and hills session
Wednesday - Circuit class
Thursday - Enhanced training session (speed )
Friday - Three mile recovery run
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Brass Monkey Half Marathon

See you at the other end...if I make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment