Friday 7 January 2011

Chuffed to Bits...

Tonight, I picked up my award for being first lady in the Eccleshill Road Runners Summer Championships (proudly displayed here on the right). The awards were presented to other winners weeks ago at a club social night but unfortunately I was away at the time.

Sorry to boast but I don't care. I've never won anything in my life, and certainly never an award so this is a major achievement for me.

Two years ago, I had only run about three races ever and I can remember saying to a fellow club member that I wasn't going to get into this running races business (do you remember, Lisa?!) as it was a step too far and likely to put me off running. Given that my running career at that point was the longest I'd stuck at anything remotely athletic, I was worried that if I did too much I'd soon get fed up and give it up.

Cut to scene 18 months later and I'm slogging round over 10 races all over Yorkshire from the streets of Leeds to the hills of Otley finishing the season on the boardwalk at Brid. Lots of early mornings and late finishes which I certainly couldn't have done without the support of my fabulous running friends and club.

Thanks for showing me that anything certainly is possible.

2 comments:

  1. Soph, you are an inspiration and you too need thanking for the support you have given to other club members during your time at ERR, your progress has been fantastic and I know you are going to shine once again in London. Go girl! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Joolz. That's really kind of you - can't do it without your support x

    ReplyDelete