Sunday 26 September 2010

Simple Maths

About 4k into the Horsforth 10k this morning, I decided I was going to call this blog entry 'might as well have eaten all the cakes'. I decided to try to run the race by 'feel' rather than by my watch so after starting my stopwatch when setting off I forced myself not to look again. For one who constantly checks my watch in an almost obsessive way when racing, it was a pretty hard thing to do.

At this point, I didn't 'feel' great.

It was my first race since shedding half a stone after the horror that was Pudsey 10k at the end of July, and I was hoping to feel a lot speedier. I'd also been concentrating more on circuit type running (there's probably a technical term for this) - intervals, hills and strength work -  and hadn't run more than 4-5 miles in over a month. I was a bit worried that this wouldn't pay off in a race.

However! It seems the success in running equation is this:

Lose a bit of weight + some quality training = 10k personal best!

Yes, despite not feeling vastly speedier, although I haven't seen the official results yet, my watch said 55.05 as I crossed the finish line which is over a minute off my previous 10k PB at Apperley Bridge Canter last May. Hooray!

It's wonderful when running leaves you with a big smile on your face..

No comments:

Post a Comment