Sunday 19 September 2010

Talking Marathons


After saying 'never again', I'm starting to wonder about entering another Spring marathon. The miraculous thing about running a marathon seems to be selective memory as I can only remember the great things about it.

I actually entered the ballot for the London Marathon back in April and should hear whether I have been successful next month. At the time, I decided if I got through it was the universe's way of telling me I should run another one but if I didn't, well, I concluded that would be it for my marathon career.

But I'm getting itchy feet...

And a small part of me is asking would I be capable of running a faster time? What would it be like running such a long way in a different setting? Then the negative talk starts. What if I can't do it again? What if I run slower? Would I have anyone to train with? Could I really go through all that training again?

On my often lengthy journey to work, I religiously listen to the fabulously entertaining podcast, Marathon Talk, produced and hosted by Tom Williams and Martin Yelling. The mix of interviews, tips and anecdotes from 'normal' runners and elite athletes are truly inspiring and sometimes (only sometimes!), it makes me think well, if they can do this, why can't I?

So, my latest thinking has me trawling Runner's World for a new marathon and a new challenge for 2011.

That is, if there's bad news from London...

No comments:

Post a Comment